Benefits of Emergency Dentistry
Most people overlook the seriousness of dental emergencies not knowing it could severely impact their oral health. Discussed are some reasons why emergency dentistry can be of great value to you.
What is a Dental Emergency?
Not every dental problem you get to experience qualifies as a dental emergency. Knowing how to distinguish a standard dental problem from an emergency is important as it will help you save time and know the right way to respond. Dental emergencies are classified as any oral problems that require urgent care to avert greater damage to your oral wellness. Not all emergencies involve pain and this makes it a challenge to certainly determine if you need immediate dental care or not. Dr. David Staples, a dentist in Barrie, Ontario, advices patients to always call their dentist whenever they suspect an issue, so as to get help in determining if it is an emergency or not.
Types of Dental Emergencies
There are a wide range of issues that may demand immediate dental care. Some more severe than others but in the end they all need o treated with great seriousness to prevent them getting worse and affecting your entire oral health. But before you can begin your trip to see an emergency dentist here are some ways you can evaluate if the issue is an emergency.
- Are you experiencing severe pain? Sudden unexplainable pain is always an indication of an underlying issue.
- Have you lost a tooth? Every tooth has a role to play and in case you accidentally lose one, your dental health could suffer. Getting treatment within the first hour after losing a tooth increase chances of saving it by having it re-inserted.
- Does any of the teeth feel loose? Adult teeth should not be loose and so there could be a serious problem, even if you are not experiencing any pain.
- Are there signs of swelling or knots on the gums or around the face? This is a sign of an abscess and if not treated soon enough could be fatal.
- Are you bleeding and there is no obvious sign of injury to the gums? Immediately get to a dentist and have the cause established as well as have the bleeding stopped
Dental emergencies include;
- Knocked-Out or Broken Tooth
- Losing or Damaging a Filling/Crown/Bridge
- Abscessed Tooth
Importance of Emergency Dentistry
Unlike regular emergency room, dental ERs are specially equipped with dental tools and have the right expertise to handle all kinds of dental issues. There you will be properly facilitated to get the right diagnosis, fast treatment and necessary support for recovery. You will get to enjoy the convenience of having everything that is needed to provide urgent dental care.
Additionally, emergency dental services are usually available round the clock and this means you will still get help whenever it is needed. There is no need for an appointment. Therefore, patients are able to get immediate relief from whatever is putting them in distress. Unlike in a general emergency room, at a dental ER, it is easy to tell the seriousness of your condition and thus you get the needed treatment immediately.
Since emergency dentists have the necessary skills and training, there is greater chance of successful treatment with minimal damage. They can easily consult among themselves and come up with a suitable treatment to match the needs of your case.
How to Avoid Dental Emergencies
Although accidents are inevitable, there are a number of things you can do to prevent or minimize the impact of dental emergencies. Practicing healthy dental habits like brushing and flossing daily will go along way in protecting your teeth from damage. Also avoid bad practices such as opening bottles or cutting things with your teeth. Always make sure that you wear protective gear like helmets and mouthguards when participating in high impact activities like boxing, sports car racing or wrestling. Regular dental visits are also important as it during routine check-ups that your dentist can spot any potential problems before they blow up.
While a dental emergency is not something to look forward to, identifying an emergency dentist beforehand will help ease worry and anxiety in the event of an emergency happening. Always have the contacts of the chosen dentist close by so that you can quickly reach them in case of anything.